When others interact with an idea, it provides clarity on your own thinking. Below are some ways that other movements around the country would define missional communities. I have learned from each one of them:
- Jeff Vanderstelt of Soma Communities
- Neil Cole of CMA Associates
- Mike Breen of 3DM Ministries
- Logan Gentry of Apostles Church NYC
- Alex Absalom of RiverTree Church
All of these have distinct language, but they all share a common conviction that the community is primarily oriented around mission, not community.
What would you add or change about these definitions?
I’ll unpack how The Austin Stone defines it in the next few posts.