Here’s a rundown of some of the questions I was asked today from a variety of different people:
- Are you a young earth or old earth creationist?
- Can you tell me where the bathroom is?
- Can you find some people to pass the offering baskets?
- Why did God require a sacrifice for sin?
- What role does confession play in our salvation?
- Do you know of someone who could sublease my apartment?
- As a college student who makes no income, how can I tithe?
- What’s the most difficult question you’ve been asked about marriage?
Needless to say, that makes for a fun and exhausting day of conversation…feel free to fill in the answers you think I answered in the comments.
2 replies on “Being a Pastor – Fun Sunday Questions”
1. “Young earth.” (though I myself am an old earth)
2. “Down the hall on the right.”
3. “Please see the person in charge of that. They are standing right over there.”
4. “God’s righteousness requires our sin to be atoned for through Christ’s sacrifice. Otherwise we cannot be in His perfect presence.”
5. “Confession is not part of our salvation, rather it is part of our sanctification that comes after salvation. The end result is our redemption at the Second Coming of Christ.”
6. “No. Have you asked the people in your Missional Community? Also try listing it on The Austin Stone Classifieds page on Facebook and let me know who responds.”
7. “Tithe your time and any small amount of money with which God blesses you.”
8. “How do you love your wife unconditionally as Christ loves the church?”
So, Todd, how did I do?
1.) Either are permissible, and I’d actually probably fall in the old earth camp, although God is fully capable of creating a young earth appearing old for our wonderment and enjoyment.
2.) Spot on
3.) I’ll find people to help 🙂
4.) I also talked about the extent of our sin offending a holy God, His requirement of blood as a sacrifice to pay the penalty of sin, and His perfect provision of that sacrifice.
5.) True confession comes from a transformed heart, so it flows out of God’s work in us. The external action of confession helps to heal and restore.
6.) Spot on
8.) I should probably just hire you 🙂